16 June 2014

Retired...with a catch, pt. 2

I received a voicemail late last week informing me that all my DoD annual TDRL medical check-ups are this week, Thursday to be exact, the first one starting at 0630 and the last scheduled for 1100. I will have three appointments on that one day - a psych appointment, a physical therapy appointment and a general medical examination. As I mentioned earlier, I have to bring all new medical information to this appointment. (I am still working on my VA rebuttal, which will include all this info as well.)


The psych appointment is pretty self-explanatory, and I have no idea if they've received the review from the VA appointment I had in April.

At the physical therapy appointment, they will check my flexibility, my range of motion and probably have me to a bunch of balance tests.  These are some of the worst checks of a person's capabilities that I have ever seen as they don't measure or testing my strength or evaluate real-world limitations, things that all the civilians PTs I have worked with do on a regular basis (and incorporate exercises to assist with garnering improved capabilities).

The last exam will be interesting. I am sure they will look at the surface scars, ask about how I feel everyday, am I getting better or worse (how does one answer that?!?), any unusual weight gain/loss, any life stressors that have affected my recovery? I do not know how to prepare for this exam, I am not really sure what they are looking for. A confirmation that I still have daily pain? Check. That I have anxiety and sometimes panic attacks regarding all things medical, especially receiving treatment at any hospital facility? Check. That I don't sleep through the night on a regular basis? Check. (For the record, my knees are fine.) I don't know. I don't even know how what they find translates to what the VA decided - or if anything is communicated across that line at all...maybe this annual physical counts as a "periodic" VA check-up? The woman whom I spoke with the other day (see VA rebuttal above) didn't know the answer.

I tend to think that if I am asking these questions, there are probably others who are as well and yet, there never seems to be a straightforward response or even the same answer. I will be asking my TDRL liaison when I speak with her today, perhaps she will have accurate information.

I hope she doesn't tell me to call the VA.

1 comment:

  1. After retirement, it seems like there is more work to be done than there was on the job. There are doctor's appointments and people to talk to, such as family and friends, who want to make sure you are healthy. Retirement should be a time of rest and relaxation instead of running all over town.

    Anisha Cason @ U.S. HealthWorks Berkeley

    ReplyDelete